July 21, 2008

Weekend, swim time!!!!






So, we've been going through a bizarre nap refusal period lately, since we've returned from the cabin vacation. She averages about every other day taking a nap...and on the days of no nap, she's still in her room just reading away with 50 or so books piled with her in the bed. She either crashes on the no nap days or is so overtired it's a nightmare for all.


I know what you WANT to say, but don't. She's too young to "give up naps." If you don't believe me, go buy yourself a copy of Dr. Marc Weissbluth's, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. I read it when we trained A. Lee to sleep on her own, and haven't really had to re-read all that much with Miss S., b/c my angel baby is already sleeping through the night with an occasional dream feed around 11...and I'm always up then, as you can see by the time of this post. (Grr...I need to read this book for myself, eh?)

Anyways, a really good friend of mine and I have had similar experiences with our toddler/preschooler, and I have to believe it still has something to do with the arrival of the babies. Being a first born, A. Lee thrives with structure and she likes visual learning with lists. Weissbluth's method of issuing "Sleep Rules" worked like a CHARM (at least for today at nap and tonight!!!) It works similarly to potty training in that if they follow rules 1-4, they get a reward. She did today, and I went BIG with the reward to show her how pleased Mama & Daddy were she took a nap!
Here's hoping I can entertain her with smaller rewards.....


1 comment:

  1. The picture at the top of this post is so awesome I set it to my desktop. On the reference desk computer. Aw yeah.

    ReplyDelete