November 29, 2011

Wonder

We're changing things up here at the Meyers house this year, and will begin our Advent Celebration soon, courtesy of Mrs. Ann Voskamp. Working on my Jesse tree ornaments here pretty soon....but, today, I decided to take a crack at Dr. Jeremiah's first way of Christmas over dinner with the girls.
This Mommy has some work to be done as far as the overall message is concerned, but I was fairly impressed with my literal girls. *Please remember they do have a doula for a Mama.

Wonder.
These questions are simply some of the questions Dr. Jeremiah's shared when children are contemplating the true meaning of Christmas...

"Where did Jesus live before He came to live on earth?"
Shelby: Heaven
Anna Lee: In Mary's tummy.

"How could God become a baby?"
Shelby: Because he drank boobie milk.
Anna Lee: Because he came out of Mary's tummy.

"What did the baby Jesus come to earth to do?"
Shelby: to help people eat.
Anna Lee: to help people that were sick come alive again, do miracles, and help. and, he was kind of like Robin Hood and was REALLY nice.

"Why was Jesus born in a stable with animals instead of a hospital?"
Shelby: Because.
Anna Lee: Because all of the houses were full, and the kind young man let him be born in his stable.




I love the sense of Wonder around the holidays. My kids are definitely asking how Santa Claus doesn't burn himself when he comes down the chimney, and how he reaches ALL the houses in the world, and I teach them the magic as part of the wonder. I think the wonder surrounding Santa could also be as magical about teaching my girls about Christ. We incorporate both in our house, and I don't know about y'all, but Santa Claus still comes for me! I haven't ever stopped believing! I think Dr. Jeremiah's point is (if you are a Christian), *remember* how important it is to incorporate both! Instead of focusing on how busy it is, or what deals you can score...(even if you aren't a Christian), it's about slowing down to enjoy the wonderment of it all. Slow being the operative word. I want to slow down and sit by our fire, sing and hear songs, have simple gifts and reflect on the Christmas story and what it means to me, and appreciate what God has done in this life, and all around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment